Monday, August 11, 2014

Graduate, Surf, Paint, Network, Bake Raisin Walnut Bread


I graduated with my Master of Science in Biomedical Visualization.  For the first time since preschool, I will not be going back to school this fall.  To celebrate, I visited Maui, Hawaii and went surfing!  Plenty of other activities as well, but nothing beats the feeling of successfully catching and riding a wave.


I was inspired to finish a painting I had started before grad school of a view of Hawaii.  The particular small island in the painting is seen off the road to Hana.


My job search is on, and I got a good boost of inspiration from the Association of Medical Illustrators Conference at the Mayo Clinic this July.  I saw 55 TED-inspired 20 minute speeches ranging from facial transplants, anatomy sculpting, and copyright infringement of illustrations.  I got to catch up with both undergrad and grad school friends.  It is quite the medical illustrators reunion.



Of course, cooking and baking have happened as well.  I most recently made the Raisin Walnut Bread recipe from The China Study Cookbook.  I've also made the Lemon Poppy Muffins from the cookbook.  Followed both recipes verbatim with great results.  I definitely recommend the cookbook as a basic go to for plant-based cooking.  Nothing too fancy, it works with pantry ingredients and short amounts of time.  I've been thinking about buying the Oh She Glows Cookbook, but I'm unsure because of the amount of oil in her recipes as well as more "boutique" ingredients.  I'm not sure if I want to worry about having spelt four and coconut oil stocked in my kitchen, so the purchase it still a maybe.


No comments:

Post a Comment