Thursday, October 25, 2012

Low Hanging Fruit - The Solution to Catching Up After Getting Behind

Everyone gets behind schedule at some point.  Be it procrastination or too much on your plate, you can accidentally or purposely dig yourself into a hole.  I'm in the midst of climbing my way out at the moment because of a quite unexciting series of events, one being that I simply did not to draw a human heart.  Sounds exciting - no, actually it's a pain and what I consider a no win situation.  Let me explain.

I like almost all of my class work, but sometimes you come across an assignment that just wants to put you in your place.  It wants to tell you your a talentless failure and you better just quit now.  It all starts out fine, you start ahead of schedule, trying to do the right thing, but no good deed goes unpunished.  During the course of the assignment I worked on my heart sketch while making no steps forward.  I would draw and redraw, yet stay in one place like a drawing treadmill.  Then other assignments come up and I put the annoyance of the heart away.


Uh oh, flash-forward to the weekend before it's due and all I have is a tracing paper sketch.  And the bonus "practice" assignment of shading shapes.  Here comes the solution known as "low hanging fruit."  I know I have a lot on my plate and it could easily overwhelm me into a standstill.  Saturday night I just want to go to bed and forget any of this exists.  Instead I grab the low hanging fruit.  You need instant gratification when you're three days behind schedule.  So I took a couple hours and with great anger and frustration shaded some shapes.  I took out my planner and put a great big line across that assignment.  One step forward.


If I had tried to make progress on the heart assignment I would wake up the next morning with the same amount of assignments on my to do list.  Low hanging fruit!

Now I was to the part where you just have to work through the pain.  I broke up the drawing into two parts and worked on the vessel outlines first.  Creating a working "finished piece" no matter how craptastic gives you peace-of-mind that if it all falls apart at least you'll have something to turn in.  While working on one part of the assignment DO NOT think about the other parts you have undone.  When I need to work at 100% there have to be no distractions and no fears of my future demise.

Then comes the heart.  First of all, there's no way I'm going to draw a heart "correctly," there are so many size variations on the real deal, so many details, so many people with more knowledge about heart than me.  I'm destined for failure.  So I threw all caring about making a "good" heart out the window.  It was time to make a "finished" heart.  Because after this assignment is over I'm still behind schedule, oh sweet, sweet anatomy test...

Anyway, I shaded the important part of the heart first, in this case it was the azygos vein, and then got some tone down on the rest of it, scanned it all and went to bed.  Hooray!  But wait... I need to cram like crazy for anatomy now.

This blog post is actually low hanging fruit at the moment, clearing up my weekend to study, study, study.  See how exciting this is???

If you're interested in actually know what the heck my drawing means: read this.

Enjoy my current study jam, and the last few weeks I get to be 22~



No comments:

Post a Comment